Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Land of Disappointment

Ever have an experience where you end up disappointing your child - either by accident or not? Yep, me too... and when it happens accidentally, I feel rotten and try to make up for it somehow -- so what do you do when someone else lets them down? Explain that people make mistakes and blah blah blah... a seven year old has about as much empathy and understanding as a jellyfish. So, when a friend of ours offered to take Em to Disney Princesses on Ice with an extra ticket -- well, you can only image how "awesome" that was in her mind. Turns out someone made a mistake and there was no extra ticket and therefore no Disney Princesses on Ice for Emily. The world as her seven year old mind knew it was over - the sun didn't rise and the earth actually stopped revolving.
Like a good mom, I dutifully got online and found 2 tickets to right all the wrong in her world... perfect. What better way to spend a Friday night and $50? We'll be there with bells on... or should I say "Belle's" on?!
Someday I hope she has the perspective to understand that love moves us to do things we wouldn't ordinarily choose to.

No comments: